Tuesday, April 21, 2020

A Bit of Dyeing

Left over from another session of eco dyeing, was half a container of soy milk which I put in the freezer for further use. Defrosted it over night and spent a couple of hours soaking some card in it. The card, fabric or paper needs to be soaked for an hour, hung out to thoroughly dry and the process repeated again.
I didn’t have a rusty tin, used a clean one to see if there was any difference in the outcome.
Collected leaves on a walk, soaked them overnight in a solution of iron and water, then put the pot on to boil.
Laid leaves on the card, wrapped the tin, boiled for 90 minutes and left to cool.
Unrolled card. I thought there would be some other colour. I think I might put some watercolour over it to brighten it up.
Our apricot tree is shedding it’s leaves, they printed a yellow tone.

Various gum leaves.

I wanted some colour, picked a few rose bush leaves and burgundy Salvia blooms. 
Happy with the outcome. 

4 comments:

  1. Terrific experiments! It is always interesting to see what colours you get from the different combinations of plants and other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to try different things and leaves/flowers. I do like the last burgundy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting process. Must be fun doing the unwrapping to see what has happened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make such beautiful paper!

    ReplyDelete