Tuesday, May 17, 2016

"Arrival of the Rajah Quilt"

As I was heading in the direction this morning, I called in to see the exhibiting of the quilt at the Abbotsford Convent.
 Over 60 collaborators from across Australia came together with lead artist Eva Heiky Olga Abbinga, to create a 7m wide sculpture paying homage to one of Australia's most precious artworks.
  The Rajah Quilt was originally quilted by some of the 180 female convicts on board the Rajah Ship during it's 3 month journey from England to Van Diemen's Land in 1841. 
 Several members of my Quilting Guild partook in the making of this quilt.
The fabrics were hand dyed by Eva. I spent time chatting with her and she explained in detail her visions for this sculpture.
 Exhibiting finishes on Sunday 22 May.
(free entry)

The original Rajah Quilt (currently on display in Canberra) is coming to the NGV in July .

1 comment:

  1. I saw the original Rajah Quilt in London in 2010. You can feel the healing power!

    ReplyDelete