Monday, January 25, 2016

Nippori Textile Town and Origami Museum

Caught the train this morning to Nippori to the fabric street.
 I bought 3 m of fabric for the backing of my Japan Memories quilt, I always do this silly thing, only afterwards do I think "why didn't I buy more".
Total came to Yen1568 = approx. $20AUD.
 This store is the well known one for it's 5 floors of fabric, very overwhelming!!
 Wonder what the reference to the tomato is??

 Saw these tiny pair of shoes in a window, made out of cardboard.
 One shop had 100 pieces of quilted fabric for Yen 2,500 a pack.
 Embroidery threads.
 This bike was locked in a no bike zone and therefore received a paper parking ticket.
 The local fire truck, I asked the man what the bikes with the eskys were for, he said in broken English, "drinks for fireman when fighting fire". The other day we were walking towards Tokyo Rail Station and 2 fire trucks with sirens blasting came up the road. We laughed because the fireman in the passenger seat had a loud haler screaming on it with his head out the window, must have been telling the traffic to get out of his way.
Cars certainly moved away.
After Nippori caught a train 1 stop away to Akahabara, changed lines to stop 2 more stations to visit the Origami Museum. This morning took a photo of the google map, it worked well, found after a 6min walk from the station.
 The museum is free to get in and well worth the visit.
 Everything on display is made by hand and paper.













 The Grand Master was demonstrating his skills at paper folding.
I was amazed that as he spoke, he did not look at what he was folding.
He started the art at 30 and is now 74 years old, so he has  had a lot of practice.
He made a camel, and those watching were given 3 attempts at flipping the camel and hoping it would land on it's feet. I did it on the 3rd go. He laughed as I was the only left hander too try.
We received a paper crane as a prize.
If anyone goes to Tokyo, this museum is highly recommended as a visit.


4 comments:

  1. Is that paper on bolts behind the grand master? You are certainly a master of Tokyo public transport!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have covered so much on this trip. Thank you for sharing. I have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do origami classes with a master like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tomato building would definitely be on my agenda if I ever went to Tokyo. But you have shown us so many other wonderful things. It's been a great trip!

    ReplyDelete