Saturday, October 23, 2010

Iris

Overnight rain has done wonders for my iris.
The brown one hasn't flowered in 2 years.

ATASDA

Today I attended my first meeting of the
Australian Textile and Surface Design Association.
(ATASDA)
Victoria now has a branch and today was their 2nd meeting.
It was held at the Box Hill Community Centre with approx. 50 ladies attending.
We swapped textile ideas, show and tell and Neroli Henderson was guest speaker.

The community centre is a great place to hold these meetings as it has inspirational mosaics throughout the garden.

Our challenge for today was to make a textile name tag. There were some fabulous badges.
I am looking forward to the next GTG.




Open Garden Day

Wednesday, I went on a Day Bus Tour to Red Hill and the Mornington Peninsular.
As a volunteer with the State Rose Garden, we have an annual bus trip.
This year we visited 4 Open Gardens. Each was was different to the next.
The things I loved about them were, there were different pergolas and arches covered in plants.

This pergola, covered in an ornamental grape, was originally an old bridge in Echuca.

This peephole over looked the bay at Mornington.

This garden was on 25 hectares with a vineyard and was very pristine, I felt as if I had to wipe my feet at the gate. The owners were the most delightful couple and made us feel so welcome.


This garden was an abundance of spring flowers of every colour. Beautiful. Every time you turned a corner there was another little path leading you to another hidden spot.
I felt like I was in the Secret Garden.

This garden was at Red Hill.
We were blessed with the hatching of 9 goslings that morning on the lake.





Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm Lost.......

...... for something to do!!!
************************************
My Dear Hannah is ready to be hand quilted. I have done 4 blocks so far.
But it is too big and heavy to take to Guild and to my other groups.
I need something to do, hand stitching wise.
I have Michelle Hill's pattern, "Coffee with William Morris" in my "to do" box.
I have been collecting various blue and coffee brown fabrics and thought of doing it in these 2 colours.
I love this 2 colour combination, but no, don't think it will work.
Also found the pattern, I have had for several years, Botanika by Nancy Amidon. This is a large Baltimore pattern.
mmm....no I don't think so.
I am up to date with all my swap ATC's.
I also have a couple of jelly rolls of Batik fabrics, but to date haven't found a pattern that grabs me.
Oh well, will have to keep looking, perhaps those 2 library books on my bedside table might get read instead.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mystery Project

At last weekend's retreat, we were given a mystery project to sew.
My friend Sophia designed (copyright) this water bottle bag using the silver lining of a supermarket cooler bag
I took it to the Craft Show this morning and was surprised at how efficient it was at keeping my bottle of water cold.
She designed it to wear diagonally over the shoulder and it was extremely comfortable.
Well done Sophia.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Royal Melbourne Show

Noticed this sign at the dogs at the Show.
Daughter now wants it as her profile pic on facebook.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend away.

I spent the weekend at Lady Northcote YMCA Camp in Bacchus Marsh on a quilting retreat.
We had perfect weather, amazing friends to spend it with and fab food. What more could you ask for in a weekend away from "domestic duties etc."
The camp is set in beautiful gardens of native flora. Mind you, the cockatoos could have toned it down a bit each morning with their wake up calls.
One of the projects I took to do was to make a name tag for a function I am attending in Houston.
My friend Sue, suggested I put a Kangaroo on it. The Americans relate to us Aussies with Kangaroos. I found a pin in a souvenir shop for $2.50- perfect.
I used hand dyed felt to make the gum leaves.

Another project to work on, was to make a cover for the Notebook Project I am working on for Fibre Arts Australia.
I took a piece of fabric, painted it with PVA glue/water, placed torn up paper serviettes over it and gave it another coat of glue before hanging it out to dry.
After it dried, I free motion quilted the sunflowers and stippled the mauve serviette strips.
I also used a gold Shiva stick over a template to add a bit of bling.
I am pleased how the notebook cover came out.
***********************************
Now it's back to those domestic duties of washing and ironing.