Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend away.

I spent the weekend at Lady Northcote YMCA Camp in Bacchus Marsh on a quilting retreat.
We had perfect weather, amazing friends to spend it with and fab food. What more could you ask for in a weekend away from "domestic duties etc."
The camp is set in beautiful gardens of native flora. Mind you, the cockatoos could have toned it down a bit each morning with their wake up calls.
One of the projects I took to do was to make a name tag for a function I am attending in Houston.
My friend Sue, suggested I put a Kangaroo on it. The Americans relate to us Aussies with Kangaroos. I found a pin in a souvenir shop for $2.50- perfect.
I used hand dyed felt to make the gum leaves.

Another project to work on, was to make a cover for the Notebook Project I am working on for Fibre Arts Australia.
I took a piece of fabric, painted it with PVA glue/water, placed torn up paper serviettes over it and gave it another coat of glue before hanging it out to dry.
After it dried, I free motion quilted the sunflowers and stippled the mauve serviette strips.
I also used a gold Shiva stick over a template to add a bit of bling.
I am pleased how the notebook cover came out.
***********************************
Now it's back to those domestic duties of washing and ironing.





2 comments: